I'm sure this applies to more than the area I'm currently in, but since this feels more like my "coming of age" in living with a scooter (or in my case, it's a scooty because it's specifically made for the female gender and that gives is the "y" ending) I am focusing on it here. :)
Today I made the ride down to get "petrol". I used to be so fearful of this drive. There are two routes to take. One is shorter, but takes you through the most heavily traveled area. You get caught behind the buses and monster trucks spewing gagging exhaust, crowds of school children being released, random monkeys, dogs and people aimlessly wandering the street - but it's shorter when these aren't such an issue, it's all about timing. The other route is considerable longer, winding through a precariously narrow road, less auto traffic - this is the road I was run off. Both roads have horrible pot holes, so you need to be not only watching what's on the roads, but the dangers in the road. It was early enough, so I chose the shorter road.
In India the horn is part of driving as breathing is to living. The problem with this is people have become so accustomed to it that they aren't fazed. Recently it became more apparent that the horn really isn't used in an attempt to get people to move, it's more to let them know you are there. Especially when going around a curve. There is one poor guy (a foreigner) who always seems to be at the same curve when I am driving. I honk - in an attempt to let those on the other side of the curve know that I am coming and to clear the road. This guy thinks I'm honking at him! If he's on the right side of the road he crosses to the wrong side and always gets frustrated with me. Unfortunately, the oncoming traffic, whether on foot or tire, don't always respond properly and I've had a few near collisions.
Helmets in India are required for the driver only. I suppose that has to do with the fact that a family of 5 would never fit on a motorcycle if everyone was wearing a helmet. But the way helmets are worn is crazy! The chin straps are seldom latched...probable wouldn't stay on if you needed it to in a crash. Sometimes the helmet is barely on the driver's head. Sometimes passengers carry the helmet, instead of the driver wearing it. I guess technically it is on the bike, just not the driver. Hard hats have been seen in place of a real helmet.
Apparently, women are exempt from all these "laws". Not really sure why. Could be because in Islamic law they are worth 1/2 a man. Could be that to ticket a women means you need to actually ticket the male that oversees her. I'm still trying to learn this culture, and it does vary from place to place, so it will be an ongoing task.
Oh how I love this adventure and doing in on my two wheeler.
No comments:
Post a Comment