Sunday, March 06, 2011

Train 'ventures

I had this little boy (or was it a girl? - the name was what I've heard females called, but the child was dressed like a boy. Of course, in India that is not a very good indicator) in my compartment the entire 9+ hour train ride. He was 3 and his mom was very talkative. Some cultural background is needed here...in India there is a tendency to NOT discipline kids until the hit about 5 years old. Are you starting to get a feel for my experience? A precious faced little one that is a bit fascinated by the white faced Auntie and wants her attention and a mom that is hungry to talk and doesn't tell her child to behave. If I didn't play with him he'd throw things at me or pull on my clothing or try to take my things that were there. I was exhausted when I got on and was really hope to get in some good naps - which is what Indians typically do on a train - it's like a sleeping disease for most.

There was a short time that the child napped, but the mom found it impossible to be quiet. Finally an older man joined our area and he talked a bit, but wanted to eat and then lay down. I went to an upper rack (remove any image that just left in your head) and completely enjoyed the escape, until the A/C kicked into high gear. I was freezing. When the man woke up, I returned to the terror below. Just when I had had enough something happened, or should I say nearly happened. The little boy was misbehaving and nearly fell off the seat. Scared him into a good cry, which in turn distracted him away from needing my attention. Made me feel a little evil to relish in it so much. But he was completely fine, he was grabbed before he hit the ground. I promise.

It was so nice to get to my destination and find familiar faces waiting for me. I'd made it to my destination! Huge exhale. I am now in my temporary home. With all it's imperfections, it's a wonderful place. There is a large rooftop that my door opens up to, the constant sounds of birds, cars, people and dogs. The sun is shining and I can currently hear the sounds of worship in a local church. It's not of the people that I'm here to be involved with, but it stirs up reminders of my time nearly 10 years ago when I lived in another part of India. :)

1 comment:

SHiNE said...

Hallelujah! You made it!