Sunday, February 29, 2004

It's been a while...

Okay, maybe not as long as some of my blogging friends, but why bother comparing myself? Any anyhow, that's not what I really feel compelled to share (though there were more than a few fine thoughts this past week).

I experienced (as many are saying) The Passion of the Christ" today. My brother asked me if I'd like to go with him and my sister-in-law, which I was thrilled about. I knew it would open up opportunities for us to talk. Well, right now I'm feeling so inadequate. He's got two questions:

1. What does that mean - Christ died for our sins? Why did He have to do that.
2. What does this mean - The only way to heaven is through me (Christ)?

He wants answers that are not offensive or sound elitist. He wants answers that aren't based upon scripture!!! I'm beating my head against the table. I know the answers, but he doesn't like the way I deliver them. Ever since dinner we've just gone round and round. He believes in God, but doesn't get the connection with Jesus and why he needs to accept Him. He's tired of feeling that Christians think they are better and the only ones going to heaven. Am I using the wrongs words? What am I doing wrong. I've prayed for a moment like this, for us to have some serious heart-to-heart dialogue. I looked through my books and found C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. He's said he'll read it. In fact I think he's reading it now. In return, I have said I'd read a book on his philosophy of choice - Zen. As we talked, my eyes filled up with tears. I know this is in part due to my frustration at not being able to convey things in a manner that he's grasping. But there is another part that is just sad.

Please pray for me.

No comments: