Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It only seems appropriate, right?

Last night was a crazy one. I went up to bed around 10:30, giving myself some time to read this interesting book I picked up. About 11, my attention was averted to something that had entered my room – from the hall! It was a bat!!! It’s wings about the size of my hand (put two hands together to imagine the whole bat). I threw my book down and ran out of the room – I’m sure there were some expletives spewing from my mouth. My heart was racing so bad, I thought it was going to burst out my throat. I remember running into my bathroom, thinking I should go into the back room and turn on the light and see if that attracts him out of my room (don’t ask). As I opened the door (my bathroom opens into two different places) and looked into the dark room, I saw another bat flying around!!! I don’t know why these things freak me out so much, but they do. Now I’m stuck between two room with bats flying around – and one of them doesn’t have a door (the back room only has a door to the bathroom, the other doorway is just curtains). I was just about to shut off the lights as I was getting very sleepy – this sure woke me up. There was a moment when I was running from room to room as I was thinking through what to do – this would have made for some great comical movie, I’m sure. I went back into my room and noticed (or didn’t notice) the bat flying around. I couldn’t see him “hanging out” anywhere either. I decided to read a little more until my heart settled down. Then, just as I was ready (again) to call it quits...there it was, flying laps around my room again. Not sure where he’d been hiding out, I’d closed the door and put a blanket at the floor, making sure it couldn’t get into my room. Ergh! I threw open the door, turned on the light in the hall (I’m still not sure why I thought a light would attract him), and came back in my room. Then I picked up my pillow and kept swinging it at him, trying to catapult him towards the open door. Sometimes he ended up way to close to my head (I shudder just thinking about what that would have done to me if it had happened), but I finally got him out the door and I shut it. There’s an old glass panel above my door, so the hall light lit up my room, but I just closed my eyes and prayed for sleep. It was a long restless night – not so worried about the bat, he was now hanging on the other door frame, nicely sleeping – that’s what the light does to them, but more because of the light. I do have an eye mask, but it is kept with my travel items which were now on a chair in the back room.

It seems very appropriate that this would happen on my last week here – it’s a revisit to nearly this same time last year when I found a bat snoozing in my blinds in my bedroom. Funny, I had bat experiences in India, but there was always a house helper to go in and get them – certainly a plus to living in a community in a country that has more of an open door policy. I find it helps to focus on the positive to this style of living. :)

2 comments:

Barbara Ruegger said...

That was just preparation for what is to come!!! How funny, I was laughing, imagining you running from room to room! Luckily it was not a vampire!!! Just kidding. Rats, bats, cockroaches and what else will come in the next few weeks.

Have a good night tonight!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Bats! They are just mice with wings, so you have every right to not be so terribly happy with them... but mice are easier to avoid! Just climb a chair! I don't like the idea of flying mice!
I had to laugh though... it reminds me of our flat in Latvia, Sam would suddenly jump up in the middle of the night, flip on the light and start frantically swinging his pillow about, smacking it loudly against the walls and ceiling (standing on the bed to do so). What was he swinging at and killing?? Mosquitoes!! They were soooo annoying! (but remembering it now makes me laugh!!)