Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ready...Set...Wait!

That's not the way it was supposed to happen. What about the "Go!"? It was a nerve wracking day of finalized packing (I tell myself I work better under pressure, and maybe I do, but the truth of it was with doing this over Thanksgiving and all the out of town guest, it was impossible) and I was just glad to get to the airport. Luckily I've been with my brother's family and they were gracious enough to say, just leave the rest and we'll take care of it.

Once you get to the airport the biggest challenge are the lines and getting checked in. But as we passed the the security lines (which weren't lines at all) and down to the ticketing (again, no lines) I was encouraged that it would be an easy enty onto the first leg. I couldn't check in at the kiosk, probably because it was an international flight. Then the bomb was dropped...I didn't have a ticket. What? Their systems when I went online and at the kiosk all showed I did. But the lady, and gentleman and supervisor all said I didn't. Conversations with Air India proved nothing and as they closed out the computers for the night, we were left standing there under the dimmed lights. Thank you Michael, Nita, Madeline, Aundrea and Heidi for encouraging me, asking the agent the questions I was too dumbfounded to think of and for all the calls to other airlines.

In the end, I had to come home and trust that God knew what was up and it would all work out the way it needed too. Early morning my travel agent called. He says it never should have happened the way it did and when Air India had changed their flight time several months ago they had agreed to work out the details, giving him my new itinerary. Any way, he called with plans to get me there, but with a 15 hour layover in NY and another 5 hour in Mumbai, neither sounded appealing, especially when traveling solo. It's all been worked out with me leaving on Monday night.

All in all, it's a good thing. I've come down with a nasty cold and flying would have been horrible, especially for the person who had to sit next to me. Hopefully the next time I write will be from India.

No comments: