It's mango season! There is nothing in America that tastes like an Indian mango, unless you buy it from an Asian market in the US. I've been patiently waiting for the local variety to hit the streets, and it has. You find all kinds of vendors some more mobile and others a little more stationary. Before the season even hit, my landlord (whose family owns a great mango orchard) told me there is only one correct way to eat a mango. I was at a loss for words, because of course, I'd seen a cooking show that explicitly explained the proper way to eat a mangy, but something told me his way would be different. So rather than tell him I already knew, I asked how to do it. And because I know you are curious, I will share it with you as well.
Start with gently rolling the mango between your palms; yes, mushing it so it's nice and soft. Now, go to where the stem was...it usually still has something that can be pulled out. Remove this, so that you are now able to get to the juice inside and start sucking on it. It's supposed to be the cleanest, neatest way to enjoy it. Once you've gotten all the juice, its easier to squeeze out the pulp. And nothing ever has to be peeled. Or, if you are like me and the mango splits, you can now remove the seed and like a starving rat, devour anything that remains on it. But I don't end there. Now I clean off the inside of the skin. It's not pretty and it is messy, but I love this fruit and don't want any of it to go to waste.
Now, the more civilized way to eat it (okay, once it's in the bowl it's civilized) is to make two cuts on the mango, one on either side of the seed, cutting it into three pieces, actually, just look at the diagram for the details, especially if you are a visual person. After I've cut it, I still suck up an that remains on the seed (and oh is there ever) and on the skin. But now you can eat the rest of it with a fork at the dinning room table without worrying what people will think of you. :)
4 comments:
Even though morning sickness has hit me full force this morning, I'm actually DROOLING at the thought of eating Mango's with you!!!! Eat a few for me!! :)
(Did you know that if you are allergic to poison ivy that mango's are supposed to make you react as well!?!? I have a friend who can't eat them fresh, it's just the skin that's the trouble, not the flesh) I would die! I love Mango! hummm... might need to search some out today!
I remember this being talked about on Oaks. Odd, I do have sever allergies to poison oak and ivy and do fine with mangos, but I think of that as I'm gnawing on the inside of the skin. :)
Ah, yes, nothing like a nice, ripe mango! We've been enjoying the season here, too. I was actually allergic to mangoes growing up, but I outgrew it...my mom still reacts, mostly to the skin. And I never put the peels and seeds into the garbage when I peel one, either one of the kids or Miguel suck every last bit of stuff off them! :)
Becky, I was just reading an article that says you can tell a lot about someone my the way they eat a mango. The more they relish it and enjoy getting messy, the earthier they are. I'd say you have an earthy family. :)
Post a Comment