Friday, July 03, 2009

Another Memorable Day

We also visited Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India. Heidi and I took an auto rickshaw together, which is always an adventure in Delhi. The city is larger than any I've ever experienced and most drivers know their area, but once they venture somewhere else, it's hit or miss as to whether you are going to get there without detours. As we entered Old Delhi there was a different feel - it was even more crowded! As we made what would be our final turn the driver asked me something and then said we are here. I questioned where the mosque was and he drove down a little further, but said that was as far as he could go. Because I'd come from a shopping trip I'd decided to get rid of some excess packaging and needed a trash can. But then, after seeing the poor people standing around, I realized someone could take my boxes and sell them to a recycler, so I wanted to leave them somewhere. I found a wall and set them there. As I walked away a man ran up to me and said I couldn't leave them there, it could be a bomb. I tried explaining, but he asked how he could be sure. Good question. I asked if I could tear them up or something, I just wanted someone to be able to get something for the boxes. He walked over with me and as I showed him the boxes he said okay. Then he asked if I was Muslim, and complimented me on my use of Urdu. :) It doesn't take much to get this compliment, just attempting the language and not being so set in my western ways goes a long ways. And that we were walking with our heads covered. Ah, I'm not as green as I feel. I left him with the proper departure greetings and all was good. The scene in the mosque were amazing and for the most part without much event.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, you are doing great!! Good Job Miss Mo!!! :)