Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Just Plain Good

Today was a very pleasant day, and proof that India will never cease to bring me to a state of awe and wonder.

I've been here now for nearly three months and have needed some sort of proof of address to get both a phone and internet. It only took two weeks in my new house to sign an official looking agreement that I've been able to take with me. Dan had prepared me to expect some confusion, long waits, some paperwork, etc. So, I was ready. The first place (for landline - which needs to happen first and then you can apply for internet) we walked into an office, sat down, chatted a little - he called in a supervisor to clarify, got approval, forms were filled out, passport pictures given, money paid and something about a week and I'll have it. We're not sure if that means within a week or after a week, but it's been started. Across the street was a a cellular store, so we stopped in there, picked out a plan, gave copies of my rental agreement and walked out with a sim card. It won't currently work in my phone because it's locked for AT&T only, but either someone will unlock it or I'll pick up another phone. Still, not bad for something I thought would be horrendous.

On my drive home, I saw a rickshaw pulled on the side of the road (not so unusual) but he was reading a rather thick book. I had to wonder what brought him to a place that he's now a rickshaw driver - but far one of the most underpaid hardest workers in this country (let me add, that I encounter - I'm sure there are others). I'm reading an interesting, though sometimes crude book, "The White Tiger" (written by an Indian and recipient of the 2008 Man Booker Award). It explains a lot about India and part talks about his father who ended up being a rickshaw driver.

A package that my sister-in-law sent arrived today, only 21 days after it was shipped. The box was fully intact and not even opened at customs. Yea USPS! Thanks again Nita for gathering those items for me.

And the last amazing thing today was a find in a children's store. I found a book called "Ultimate Christmas", The prefect food, the perfect decorations, the ultimate Christmas! Who would have thought that in a country with roughly 4% Christians that there would be such a treasure? And at our next stop, I found Christmas napkins.

So, there you have it...there are joys waiting here for me and God knew that I was ready for a day of simple encouragement.

1 comment:

SHiNE said...

White Tiger -- I just finished that. I'm reminded of it every time I'm @ my office near the Sheraton & I hear announcements for the drivers to pick up their "patrons."