Ha, I so wanted to say visitors from outer space, but they were too much like me for me to be able to say that! Kevin, a friend of about 15 years (okay, started out as a teacher I admired, then someone I worked with and out of that a friend and authority figure I greatly respect) and Bob, a relatively new friend just happened to be in the neighborhood so Dan picked them up in Delhi and brought them to our spot hear the river. :) These guys both have such a great wit, helped me to laugh a lot. I also felt that God really used Kevin to remind me of some things, confirm in other areas and basically do some awesome shepherding (no need to worry, I didn't stray from the flock, just needed a little uplifting). :) Along with all this, they are a great source of sarcasm, something I've really missed. It was a short visit, but they saw the city, heard what was happening, met some of the people we interact with and now have a better idea of what life "over here" is like. It really was a wonderful visit.
On my way to the cyber cafe today, I saw my landlord, her son and daughter out front, so I stopped and chatted. She told me her mother was in the house...on her way to Delhi to have a kidney stone surgically removed and did I want to meet her? I jumped at the chance. I enjoy this family so much. Her mom and brother were no different, cut out of the same wonderful cloth. Here's this little old lady, missing a bunch of teeth, smiling and chatting away. Asking how I cook, what I eat, if I'm married or want to be married (and then she invited me to her village for her to find me a husband!). I sat and drank chai with them and picked out familiar words, but most communication had to happen between the children telling me what is being said and sharing what I said. But she was so tickled to hear me speak in Urdu that I really wanted to try harder. But then, someone usually had to repeat to her what I said! Ha! Another family friend was over and they've invited me to a get-together at their house in April. I'm walking on a cloud right now. But just to keep me grounded, I am cooking Mexican tonight with the last of my ground water buffalo meat (no that pun wasn't really intended). It's been so gamey tasting that I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it. A friend suggested soaking meat in milk to remove some of that, so it's been soaking all day - we'll see what that did for it.
It's been a great week. Some good times of growing and stretching, but also lots of love!
2 comments:
Ive heard cooking it with grated carrot helps as well :)
AHH! I read the whole post waiting to find out who your visitors from Latvia (LV) were! It wasn't till the end that I figured out you meant your old stomping grounds in Nevada! LOL
Post a Comment