Fire on my Street!
I had the scare of my life yesterday, early evening. I had just returned from taking a meal to a family that just moved here and was enjoying my own dinner as I watched the news. Ironically, they were talking about a fire that had destroyed 5 row home (must be a British thing, we don’t have them on the west coast – they are 3-story homes, usually built with three or more connected with a common wall). It seems that every day the news is covering some story of big home fires. Not surprising when you realize this is the oldest inland city in the US (I know, many of you live in older areas around the world). My house is old, so I think of these things. Well, I hears some sirens outside, but was shocked to hear them stop extremely close-by. I decided to take a peak outside. They stopped just three doors down. I saw a young women, two children and a man and the fireman asking if they were okay and relocating them onto my friend Virginia’s steps because they were going to be breaking glass. I walked across the street for a better view and noticed the smoke coming out of the third floor and then I noticed the flames dancing around the second floor! More vehicles were responding and all I could think of was I needed people praying. I couldn’t find my cell, so I grabbed the house phone, called my TL and called his home. When his wife answered my voice was wavering, on the verge of tears, as I asked them to pray. I have to admit, I was worried about the house I’m in, but more so for Virginia, an elderly retired lady who’s health hasn’t been so good. Her house was closest (and of course the house on the other side, but I’ve never met the residents). When I walked over to my car to get my cell, there were 5 fire trucks (all that the city had), at least one ambulance, and several police cars. It was just so unnerving, but at the same time, the response was amazing and very reassuring. The family who lives in the house have extended family members on the street. I was so worried about them and wondering where they would go and how soon help would arrive (it was Friday evening and though I know there are 24-hour hotlines, I was still thinking about these things). I am looking for ways to reach out to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment