So this is how the conversation went:
Ring, ring (I was calling Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant).
Ladies voice answering, but words uncertain.
Me: Hi. Can you tell me what time you open?
Lady: We open at 10.
Me: Oh, you open at 10? I was just at your door and it was still locked.
Lady: Some indistinguishable words and something about 20 - 30 .
Me: So, what time today will you be opening?
Lady: Umm, 11.
Me: It's already after 11.
Lady: (Silence)
Me: So, you are opening some time today, but just not for a while?
Lady: Yes.
Me: Okay, thank you.
Click.
The restaurant had been recommended by a friend who will drive to Philly just to enjoy a meal there. I've been looking forward to it for nearly 2 weeks. A friend was visiting from Vegas and had bought tickets for a Cirque du Soleil traveling show that was in the big city. It was a matinee and she had to fly out right after, so I figured we'd want lunch before and it was going to work out perfectly. I'd done a little additional research and read that the service could be on the slow and poor side, so I was worried about getting out in time, but we were going to risk it. Or so we thought. We laughed so hard about the phone conversation, and decided we'd just drive towards the show tents and look for something along the way. We found all kinds of wonderful ethnic restaurants, unfortunately, they were closed. Then I saw it...a Thai restaurant with an "Open" sign. It really looked more like a sign that never came down and wasn't a light up, but we decided it was worth a try...even if Kimberly did turn her nose up a little to the idea of Thai food (she's not a fan of the spicy). It was open, we were the first to come in (though it soon filled up). The service was good and fast, we both liked the food and we got out in plenty of time.
And the show...it was awesome! My first Cirque and very memorable.
No comments:
Post a Comment