I'm sitting at the airport in Helinski, waiting my flight to visit with friends in Latvia and marvel over the past 24+ hours. Actually, let me back up even further. :)
Monday night I made one last stop at the internet cafe in my home city to do the obvious - send and receive emails. But also to ask if a friend would mind going to the train station with me the next morning. It was my first time traveling solo and someone recently shared about mutual friends who'd missed their train because it was late and then arrived on a different track and they were unable to understand the Hindi speaker who announced the change. She said yes, so it was onto checking emails.
Uh-oh, the gal I was planning on seeing when I arrived in Delhi was flyout out before I got there. But a friend of her's has offered her place for me to sleep. I had a number for a reliable taxi service and before it was all said and done the other gal had emailed me with directions. It wasn't until later that I noticed her last name was the same as a couple I'd met in Vegas who were now also living in India...I wonder...
Later that night I was told that the friend who'd agreed to go to the train station with me wouldn't be able to. Gulp. When I got home I talked with my landlord and they connected a friend of the son's who lives near the station and he agreed to meet me there in the morning. Though he was worried that his English wasn't good enough! Ha...I needed someone who could understand the Hindi and point me to my train, so I wasn't worried and felt much better.
Things went right on time, I showed up at the station, the guy was there and the train was nearly two hours late. This sweet guy waited the whole time and carried my bag onto my train for me. Okay, now to tackle Delhi. :) As we were drawing closer I chatted with the lady I'd be staying with. She said she thinks we have a mutual friend. Ah-ha! The last name of the couple is her son and daughter-in-law! She was so excited and said it would be like staying with family. Thank you Janis and Chuck! Okay, and Sarah for the connection. :) But I still needed to figure out how to get there. As I called the taxi they wanted to know which side of the station to send the taxi. How is a person supposed to know this? I asked another gal who was on the train (it really wasn't very crowded). She wasn't sure, so she went to the back and spoke to some guys. As we were getting off, she helped me settle with a porter to carry my bag - we had some serious steps to go up and down. But in the end, she wouldn't let me pay for it either! She is from the same state as me and had traveled to Korea and felt so well taken care of that she promised to do the same to people visiting her country. Wow! She not only waited with me for the taxi, but called them, verifying where they were and in the end wanted my email address and gave me hers. Huge thank you God. The taxi driver was a great guy, pointed out famous places and got me to my place.
Ahh, I figured it was all easy sailing from there. Janis was waving like crazy from one of her balcony's and had I not known she was Chris's mom before, I would have now. She, Chuck and I talked for a while before deciding where to go for dinner. Ahhh, what a great meal...I love Delhi. We ate at one of the best malls, and I found a book I'd been hoping to grab before leaving. I used the same taxi service to get to the airport - very promt. If you are ever traveling in Delhi, I highly recommend Meru Cabs.
Every time I end up taking one of these solo trips I wonder why it took me so long to do it. I should have taken a break after living with my bonding family, so this time away is way past due. I'm praying that this time away helps me to refocus and really plow into language learning. That's what a break can do for you, right? I was just reading an article while I was on the train about the importance of taking a break. And with the strong signs God has already showed, I know He cares about what I'm doing and concerned for my well being...why wouldn't He want this break to improve things too.
Next stop Riga, where my friend Lydia will be meeting me. I can't wait. The view from the lobby is spectacular. We are surrounded by pine trees and it's clear and crisp outside. And, the change is going to be nice.
5 comments:
Have a WONDERFUL time, Mo! I want to see lots of pictures of Latvia! :)
Ok, so eat some Shashlik for me, have some piparkukus if you can find them this time of year, ask to have some Soilyanka if you find a cafe and wanna try some soup, make Kim show you my church (that I got married in) say hello to every sight you see for me!! When you go to Lido try the fried potatoes!! YUUMMMY I can not figure out how to recreate them!!!! and if you don't mind mixing foods have the cheese pancakes :)
wow, I love how things work out -- from the man seeing you off to the lady seeing you into Delhi! i'm glad it was relatively painless.
Tonight I had the Shashlik - yum!!! Piparkukus isn't around right now, but we tried something else, or will tomorrow. And I've had some honey cake.
Post a Comment