On Wednesday I had promised to cook a cheesy tuna casserole and share it with the kids below me (they are 20 and 19 and because of a surgery one grandma was having, the mom went to be near her in Delhi, the father is already there during the work week); the son loves American food and the daughter was excited to try it. But we had a meeting that ran very late and I just didn't have it in my to get so creative in my hot kitchen. So I told them I'd make it for lunch on Thursday instead. But Wednesday night I became nauseous and had diarrhea which lasted well into Thursday evening with the dreaded "D" still lingering.
By this time I was feeling like a flake, but I was determined to make this on Friday. I was home a little later than I'd anticipated, but went straight to work on it. Now, if you remember, I'd made this once before in India and it turned out fabulous, so I knew I could pull it off. But I didn't re-read the hints section and left out one crucial part - adding some lemon juice to the cheese to help in not be so stringy and allow the cheese to come to room temperature. When I melted it it did something a little weird, but still tasted fine. I had it all mixed, buttered and browned bread crumbs on the top and in the oven. Whew.
As I was cleaning up the battle area I noticed the untouched can of tuna! That was the most important part, as they were so curious about it. So, out came the pans, all back into the bowl I'd just washed and the tuna was added. I prepared more bread crumbs and put it all back in the oven.
It was different, not necessarily in a bad way, but not like I wanted it to be. The reviews are still out...I know the son chose to spice it up a little bit and the daughter said it was good - but I didn't get the rave reviews I did last time.
And...I now have my land line connected. Which means internet at home is just around the corner. :)
3 comments:
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather!
And wahoo on the phone line! :)
I had to laugh about you leaving out the tuna!!! haha! That sounds like something I would do...way to go on the phone line! And I hope the Internet soon follows...
you rock MO. I am sure they love anything you make for them. Given how many times it was postponed!!! at least you did not let them down. You should see what my kids have to eat sometimes L Not to mention a husband that does not believe food gets burned.... just well done!OL
Post a Comment