Thursday, January 22, 2009

Frightening Night

We had a horrible scare last night (around 11 pm) and I’m still feeling a little rattled today (it’s just after 8 and the rest of the family is only starting to get up). I’d brushed my teeth, said goodnight to the brother who was studying for a pre-board exam in the family room, and come into my room and put in my ear plugs. I heard him make some noises, but thought it was more like that that a person makes when they stretch really good. I got into bed and was setting my computer up to handle some security updates. All of the sudden I heard screaming and crying.

I yanked out my ear plugs, pulled on my robe and ran into the family room to find the mom and two girls surrounding the brother who was having what appeared to be a seizure (mouth foaming, eyes wild). They were all speaking in Urdu/Hindi and I couldn’t understand anything. They are telling me things, looking to me for help. He was in an out of an unconscious state and I was worried he’d choke on vomit, so I laid him out straight and rolled him onto his side. His head was cradled in him mom’s lap. One sister ran upstairs to where a doctor lives and the other was on the phone. All I knew to do was reach over and touch him and pray. I tried comforting one sister and then they needed a flashlight – I ran and grabbed my headlamp. The doctor was checking his eyes and his vitals, trying to talk to him and it seemed like nothing was happening.

The youngest daughter grabbed some Qur’anic prayer book and went into the bedroom to pray. When some of his friends came over, I joined her in there to pray also. The doctor left, the son was a little more responsive, he sat up and they gave him some milk to drink. After a bit, he was able to walk out the door with his friends at this point I was told I could go back to bed.

Today I’ll talk with them more about it, but it’s been a strange start to the day and I’m not sure what’s going to happen. Tea is usually over by now (it’s nearly an hour late) and since it hasn’t started, I’m trying to figure out what is culturally correct in how to respond. I'd appreciate your prayers as I gently walk through this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mo, how scary! I'm thinking about you! Love you!

Shilo said...

How scary! Asking God to give you wisdom and grace!