Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mere Nam Maureen Hey

A quick translation – My name is Maureen. Of course if you are reading this you may already know this (or for those who only knew me as Mo – now you know my secret). This is the first phrase I learned in my recent language-learning program; of course, there is no Roman letters in Urdu (or Hindi), but that will come. No worries, I won’t bother you with all the new phrases that I learn, or the words. I’ve just returned from a week in Delhi, in which the main purpose was to go through a program that provides the main tools needed for teaching someone to nurture me through the process of learning a new language. One of the gals I live with is eager to help me and was really excited to see the books that I was given. I’m starting out with an ambitious 6 hours a day; 2 for personal study, 2 with my language helper and 2 putting to use some of the new words and phrases I’ll be learning. Pray for me in this area, language learning has always been a struggle, but I so want to be able to communicate more fully with “my people”. You would not believe how many misunderstanding there are when we speak English (the British English is just different).

Another reason for going was to meet up with some other friends who are joining us in our city. It was so good to see their faces and to know that they are returning with us. They will spend their first month with a family, going through a “bonding” sort of experience, jumping into language learning as well as learning the culture. They are just as excited to be starting.

While I was in Delhi I had an amazing time. We were able to stay at a home of some Americans who are in the US right now. It was so nice to have a western toilet, an oven and some of the other things that American’s take for granted, as well as staying with friends.

I’ve been on a quest, sometimes I feel like I’m looking for some mystical bird that you read about but no ever really seen. But it’s not a bird at all; it’s a curling iron. Anytime I’ve been out I look for this and for the past month have not had any luck. But Wednesday was different. Darla and I managed to get an auto rickshaw that knew exactly where we wanted to go (nearly a first), the store had the exact voice recorder that I wanted…all was looking good. We even found a store with some western food and personal items that we’d both been looking for. Of course, all along the way I was keeping my eyes open for a curling iron. Just when we’d decided we were done, I said I needed to stop for change for our ride home and there was a store with a curling iron set! I nearly had tears running down my face. I’m sure to some of you this doesn’t make sense. I’d like to say it’s a girl thing, but not all women care to use irons. I’ve come to the place of accepting I like to be girly. Some may be surprised by such a confession, but despite my love to travel, camping and being outdoors, I love being female. I usually travel with too much stuff, but I want the right shoes with each outfit. I like some of the frou-frou that comes with being a woman. But I wouldn’t want to be considered high maintenance. So, I found some joy in this find. ☺

Upon returning to my current home, I set up my new mattress. Oh, can I just say how wonderful it is right now sitting here typing. The whole family came in and tried them out. And there’s a 10-year warranty on them. I am so happy!

I’m sounding a little materialistic, but in reality I’m talking about some recent things that just met some physical needs. There continues to be progress in my relationships with the people in the house that I’m living with. In fact, tonight the eldest daughter, Afreen asked me to go with her to turn in a resume tomorrow. What an honor to have her invite me. Coming home tonight was so good. They waited for me to share dinner with them. We had the regular conversation, laughs and joking that I was used to and had missed. After we ate, I gave them a special Lindt candy bar. One had been looking for dark chocolate, another had said that after eating something sweet, they like something spicy…so when I saw a dark chocolate bar with chili I knew it needed to be given to them. Watching their faces as they ate a square was awesome! At first, there was no spiciness. But, after you swallowed, you started to feel it in your throat. They loved it! It was the perfect ending to a great time together.

2 comments:

Allen said...

Here is to curling irons and a bed that allows a good night's sleep and good chocolate. What more could a girl ask for. Lifting up the lanuguage learning that it is fruitful. Have a great day. Blessings, Allen

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Hooray for new mattresses! I think I need one, too...I love the Lindt dark chocolate, but have not tried the chili one! Sounds interesting! So neat you found a curling iron! I relate, not so much to the curling iron, but more to the Finding of that Special Object you've been looking for!!!! :)