Monday, May 11, 2009

Monkeys

This morning was beautiful. The first thing I noticed was that at 8 am my house was only 83 degrees, it felt nice and I knew it would be cooler outside. It's becoming more of a wonderful habit to start my day, out on the balcony, with a stainless steel "glass" filled with iced coffee, my Bible and journal. And if it's a little warm, or no breeze, there's this great little ceiling fan out there that I can turn on and keep cool as I see all that God's created. So after I got dressed (can't hang out in my pajamas, I remembered I'd washed clothes last night as I was going to bed, so I hung them up to dry and decided to hang the clothes that were recently pressed. I went back into the kitchen to grab the already prepared iced coffee and heard a crazy new sound coming from outside. It sounded like a dog in turmoil (something I hear more at night) and was near-by. I went to look out my kitchen window and sitting on the rail was a monkey! He turned and looked at me with mean eyes as if to say, "I dare you..." It had a hair-lip sorta thing going on and was just angry. I locked one of my screens that is more challenging and often left undone. Then it ran the length of my railing towards my door. I ran over there to lock the door too - these guys will come in your house and help themselves to whatever they want. And I don't know what I'd do if it came in, and I didn't want to find out. Again it gave me the most crazed look as it was trying to figure out what to do. It then went down to my landlord's house and she was trying to move him out with a long squeegee. Yep, you got it, it came right back up to my balcony. I had already snapped some pictures - these things just don't happen where I grew up, so I was basically just trying to see where it went because the kids were soon to come over and I didn't want them out there if there was a threat. Eventually it moved to the flat above mine and once I got brave enough, I came out to take a look and make sure all my clothes were still there. I noticed all kinds of monkeys around my street, at least 8. Deacon and Lily were out on their terrace, screaming hello and I was trying to point out all the monkeys to them. They finally saw the one that was moving towards their house (no, it didn't go up there). And were delighted when they later saw my pictures and couldn't believe there were so many monkeys around us. Since they've been in the neighborhood, they've only seen one in our block, and it was on their terrace! It’s just another average day in India.

Pictures will be posted later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they were excited instead of scared!