Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Not Your Vegas Kinda Hot

Besides, it's May, and as hot as it gets in Vegas, it seldom happens this early. Time for a little whine. :) It's been pretty stink'n hot these past couple days. I've been struggling with keeping my house in the 80's as it's been, but yesterday the low 90's were where it pretty much sat. That was enough for me, I turned the A/C on, which up until now had been reserved for sleeping hours only. I've closed off a few rooms that have open access to the outdoors and have my bedroom door open, so the dinning room and drawing room can cool back down to 85. Ha, 85...! I'm pretty sure that was never a temperature I settled for when I had central A/C.

Today I decided to see how hot it was outside at 4:30. In the shade it was 101 and in the sun it was 115! No breeze, just hot, hot, hot. I'm going to suck it up and just accept that the power bill this month will be a little (okay a lot) more than what I've been accustomed to. But what to do? Maybe in a year or two of living through these summers I'll be able to deal with it a little better (pray for that), but for now, I'm embracing the A/C unit. Okay, maybe not embracing it in a physical sense, though I do hover over it when it first comes on, but you get what I mean.

As I read back over this I can't help but think of those who don't have the luxury of A/C. Or even the inverter that runs on a battery and makes my ceiling fan and a few lights run when the power is out. My first time in this country I didn't have any of those things and it was one of the most challenging times of my life. Living with less makes us appreciate more what we have. I'm quickly reminded of the blessings I have been given and am so thankful to God (and to all who've partnered with me). I am blessed to be a blessing to others, which is why I'm here. So, enough whine, how about a toast to the God who is yearning for His people and has invited us to go share.

No comments: