Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Whine Hangover

Not sure what else to call it. After complaining two days ago about the heat and how miserable it was I had a time yesterday that I wasn't sweating at all. It started like this...Yesterday I made a trip to the post office, came home chugged down some cold water, had a little snack a friend had given me and had a language lesson. But I just felt like it was so hot, even the A/C wasn't feeling very cool. I thought there was just low voltage that that the air wasn't moving like it ought to. It's been so low you can't even pop popcorn in the microwave, so why not. Afterwards I had some leftovers for lunch and just felt too hot, but I wasn't sweating at all...that was odd. My face felt pretty hot, but not a bead of presperation. I took my temperature and sure enough it was a little over 100. Hmmm, normal temp for me it around 97.5, so it was definitely up there.

I decided to go lay down on my bed with the air blowing right on me. But then I had terrible chills. So off went every fan and A/C, and my temp was rising...it was at about 102 when I decided to text a friend whom I was supposed to meet with in a few hours. I also texted a doctor who is from the US and lives in my state, but not near by, he's been a great source of help in the past. No reply. Check the temp one more time...103! Not good. How hight can an adult temperature get before it's dangerous? This time I called my friend, she would come by once her language class was over and I called the doctor...he's back in the US for 15 months. When Ruthy came we decided it was time to stop waiting for the fever to break and take a cold shower. Not really much help, in fact I moved up to 103.3. She wanted me to see a doctor, but I wasn't so excited about that. First of all, it meant a rickshaw ride somewhere (i.e. sitting up for a bumpy ride - my head was already about to split, that wasn't going to help...and what if I puke or have diarrhea on the way???), and I'm not really sure I'm too excited about the medical service in this city - haven't heard too much good about it. But I was worried and so off we went, Ruthy, my landlord and her daughter and I. How wonderful that they joined us, not like we knew where to go anyway. The doctor was decent, the office clean, though the thermometer was removed before it beeped. The night was cooler, and on my way over it seemed that my fever broke. By the time he took my temperature, it was about 101. He gave me some medicine and wanted some lab tests done, but felt it was most likely viral fever - not really sure what that is, maybe the flu (so glad I had the flu shot before coming over here).

Of course, I had to eat something before I could take the meds and at this point I was not able to get anything down. So I laid down for a little while and then a huge storm hit, power was out, so I left the light on, and decided when power resumed the light would remind me I needed to attempt to eat something and take some meds. It did and I did, but it was a horrible night's sleep. I was either getting up to puke or to go to the bathroom and was so uncomfortable, sweating and then the chills, just laying there shaking. This morning Iffat, the landlord's daughter, went with me to the lab. They drew my blood and will test for a few things. Aamir, Iffat's brother, will drive over to get the results after 2 pm. Hmmm, I wonder if I need to go back to the doctor. I'm feeling so much better - I'm sitting up, that's a good thing.

So, to wrap all this up, I never lost my sense of humor and while I was feeling so lousy and NOT sweating, I couldn't help but think of my previous blog where I complained about all my sweating, and now I wasn't at all, thus the "Whine hangover". You are right, that high temperature may have done something to my brain after all.

No comments: