This phrase reminds me of a wonderful teacher, whom I’ll call KO. When I would lead the annual trip to Mexico, he would say this when there was an abundance of food, or something he wasn’t sure would be eaten (or, who knows why he’d say it). But everything was “Quite possibly the best (fill in the blank) I’ve ever had.” Well, I believe that deprivitey brings such thoughts. Having spent the past 45 days consuming mainly spicy Indian food, having something on the blander side really intrigued me. Now that I’m living in my own place, I get to creat the menu and what a joy it is. Here’s what today looked like:
Breakfast: 1 over-easy egg and two small banana pancakes and a cappuccino (a little 4 oz. packet thingy)
Lunch: Grilled cheese sandwich, small bowl of chicken soup, some chips and carrots (seems like a lot, but when you are eating at 1:30 and dinner probably won’t be until after 8, you need enough to hold you over)
Dinner: Baked potato, filled with mixed vegetables, some white processed cheddar cheese (not as bad as it sounds – must be that absence thing) and butter.
Did you see that…not a bit of anything remotely Indian, except for the fact that everything was bought in India. It really was a pleasant eating experience. Tomorrow I will have dinner with my landlord’s family. Tonight they kept trying to convince me to, but I was so looking forward to that ‘tator.
The kids (actually Lyric, but Lily gave it to her first) have past on to me some funky eye goop thing. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a thing, but for now, I can’t wipe my eye enough – which is only causing it to swell and hurt. I love these kids and the fact that they love me too. And it’s just sweeter the way they share everything (my last cold came from them too). I’m hoping mine doesn’t last as long as theirs, but at this point, I think it’s here for a good six days. So, if you’ve been looking for a way to pray for me, this would be perfect.
I’m waiting for a LPG gas cylinder so I can have my water heater hooked up. In India they have Geysers (pronounced Geezers) that heat the water. It’s my opinion that the gas ones are nicest. First off, they are less expensive; 2) they work when there’s no power; 3) there’s no waiting time, you turn on the water and nearly immediately it comes through hot. The problem is getting the cylendar. Apparently it’s a long process. In the meantime, my bucket baths are happening with the help of this electric heating rod. What, you thought I was taking cold baths? Are you kidding? This morning it was 61 degrees in my house! During the summer, there won’t be much need for a lot of hot water and the cool will be appreciated, but we aren’t there yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment